Alright, since two of my sisters have a beat on this already (see comments of previous entry), I should go ahead a break this disappointing news. I tried to put it off, alas... it's time to share. Before I do this, I have to set up the story. Here goes...
A short time after we found out about our move to Texas, I wondered whether or not my children would learn how to talk with a Texan accent. I didn't dwell on it too much, but it definitely crossed my mind.
As you already know, we have enrolled Alex into preschool. A few days ago, he was talking about riding his bike. He said, "I can't ride my bike up the heal". I stood there with a blank stare on my face. The heal? What's that? Then it hit me. He was trying to say "hill" but kept saying "heee-ill". As if that wasn't enough, he also picked up on another word, "Yee-a" (with a very strong emphasis on the "first syllable") instead of "Yeah".
That's not so bad, except I think it's safe to say that it won't stop there. Oh well... it was inevitable. What really gets me is that I've worked with him to say words in Spanish and he still has trouble saying them. In fact, he almost refuses to learn them. Ha, if only I could speak Spanish with a little Texas twang!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
oh my gosh, I am laughing out loud right now!! SO SO cute!! I really do think that southern accents on little boys are adorable!
Aww heal no! Ha ha ha Alex is so funny. What? There's not enough Spanish spoken in Texas? I'm sure he'll pick up on that, too.
Now I have to strongly consider what accent I want my kids to grow up with when choosing where to live. I will fall out of my chair when I hear Blake count "one, two, three, farr".
That is absolutely hilarious. Sooooo cute. And the comments. It's been a good laugh.=) Now I'm seeing a little of what we have to look forward to. It'll be fun.
Post a Comment