Saturday, March 15, 2008

Back for now (again)...

Has it really been almost a month since we last wrote an update?

I just got back from a 2-week long exercise in northern Florida. I learned some good information pertaining to my job. I also had a lot of fun playing in the woods again -- I got to drive a Humvee for the first time. I don't really want to post any specifics of my training on the internet, so we'll just discuss what happened once I left home.

We took off on Saturday morning. Less than one week later (Thursday), Alex was down and out again with flu-like symptoms. He had a low-grade fever to go along with a sore throat. His symptoms persisted for the next two days and he started to lose his appetite. He didn't go to school on Friday. Betony checked his temperature constantly to monitor any changes and on Sunday afternoon it had reached up to 102.5°. She took him to the ER immediately. After four long hours of sitting in the waiting room, they finally got to see the doctor.

After having a "traumatizing" experience with the doctor in a previous visit, Alex tried to pretend that he was "all better" by playing with Ryan and saying that his throat didn't hurt anymore. (He had an ear infection the last time he saw the doctor and refused to let the doctor look into his ear.) The doctor determined that Alex had strep throat. He got his medicine and in less than two days he was just fine.

Not everything was all bad news... in fact, Ryan decided that it was time to start walking around the same day I left town. He's just cruising all over the place now. Alex plays more and more with his little brother now that he's mobile. We're just counting down the days until Ryan starts to run. It seemed like Alex was only walking for a day until he started running... and he hasn't stopped yet!

3 comments:

mellon said...

Wow, way to keep you busy. We've been fighting some cold stuff but have been able to keep it under control so far. That is awesome that Ryan is walking I wish we could see you guys. We miss you all so much. Give hugs all the way around for us.

Jones said...

poor Alex!! and POOR BETONY!! it's so hard taking care of a sick kid, especially when you have another little one who's really become mobile!

gosh, good thing your back home. I just can't wait until we can all get together again!

jamiegilson said...

That's not any fun (the sick part). It's so hard to see them so sick and nothing you do helps them feel better. And especially when the hubby is gone. Bah! I feel for you Betony. Bet it's good to have him home.