Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Goodbye to a Great Man

Just a few nights ago, I got a phone call from my brother-in-law. He told me that Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away. For those that do not already know, Hinckley has been the prophet and leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for the past 12-13 years. He is a man that has inspired many to "Stand a Little Taller" and to "Stand for Something".

I was watching Glenn Beck the night after President Hinckley passed away. He had some very emotional words about the influence President Hinckley had on his life.

We may have lost someone with great courage and faith, but it is that same courage and faith that stays with us until the end. I will forever remember how he could tell a joke in the most serious of settings, namely Priesthood Sessions of General Conference, and still keep the spirit of the meeting in tact. While the news of losing our Prophet initially made me sad, the thought of President Hinckley being reunited with his late wife gives me solace.

Utah Senator Orrin Hatch put it best when he said, "I know right now he is happily reunited with his wife Marjorie. We are going to miss him terribly. He could charm anybody because he was just totally decent and totally honorable... wherever he went, people just loved him. President Hinckley could talk with a twinkle in his eye."

Today is a day to make a stand for something -- a day to stand a little taller -- in memory of a tremendous servant of the Lord.

1 comment:

jello said...

I second that emotion. I wish I could elaborate more on your words regarding our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. I think the articles and tributes are still trickling in just as I'm still gathering my thoughts. Knowing what we know, it's not a sad thing to pass on into the sweet presence of our Lord after honoring Him with a life of service. When we got the news, we were reading The Book of Mormon as a family - "Standing a little taller", if you will. We were doing just what the Prophet would have us do. A warm feeling of love and appreciation came over me as I paused to think of the news.