Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Charlie Brown Christmas?


It's almost Christmas day, yet it still feels like early November. I guess that's because it has only started to get cold over here. I've been gone for three weeks already, but it seems like it's been only a few days. I guess that's because every day here is like Groundhog Day all over again... "Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today. It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?"

In keeping with the movie theme, may I present to you our Charlie Brown Christmas Tree -- it's a palm tree, but I find it very fitting given the area I'm in right now:


One of my co-workers recently received a large bundle of boxes from elementary school kids in her hometown. There were plenty of homebaked cookies, a few books, magazines, and blankets to keep us warm. This time of year is always difficult for those who are away from home, but reading the letters from these little children made us feel a little better. We often spent whatever free time we had to read through the letters and cards. They brought big smiles to our faces and made the past few days that much easier for us. The best part is that we were also able to share this Christmas Spirit with the soldiers here.

No comments: