Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trip to Sea World

We took advantage of a free family pass to Sea World on Friday. The forecast called for a high of 100F with mostly sunny skies. Luckily for us (and I should know), weather forecasters can't ever get it right. It was a mere 93F with mostly cloudy skies. We even had a stray shower or two with a slight breeze every now and then.

Back to the Sea World adventure... we got there just after the park opened up and headed over to the Lost Lagoon -- the water park section of Sea World. The boys were having so much fun in the lagoon that we almost got lost back there. Alex really enjoyed the "Lazy River". He floated around the river multiple times. I tried to get Alex to go down Buckaroo Mountain, but my little buckaroo changed his mind once we got to the top with our tubes. If only they would have let us ride down together he would have done it. Then we went to see Clyde and Seamore (sea lions), do some cool tricks as they tried to solve the mystery of disappearing fish in a nearby cannery.

After that we went over to the Shamu Express. This roller coaster is designed for kids and flies around the track at a whoppin' 14 mph. Alex liked it a lot, but he got scared right after the lap belts locked down. He immediately clenched my shirt and didn't let go until the ride finished. Despite his fearful reactions, I still think that he enjoyed it. We almost went back at the end of the day, but they closed off the line because the ride was shutting down for the day.


After playing in Shamu's Happy Harbor (play yard for the children... and adults), we made our way over to the Shamu Theater to see "Believe!", starring none other than Shamu. Believe it or not, this was just the time when Ryan took his nap, so I sat in the shade with him in the stroller. I believe that's when I realized that I would NEVER be able to work in an amusement park. The music outside of the Theater was on a continuous 30-second loop -- the show was about 25 minutes long. Oooohh... that poor vendor was just begging to get out of there since the speakers were right next to his station. He didn't even sell any of his ice cream. Yikes!

Ryan woke up just in time for us to get moving again. While Betony and Ryan went over to see another show, Alex and I cruised on over to the "Rio Loco" to experience one crazy river! It was pretty intense. Alex was thrilled to be able to get onto the raft with four kids to get crazy wet. He probably laughed the hardest when we got dumped on by the waterfall at the end of the ride. We took a quick detour to go see the penguins. I guess I'm a little pampered because the St. Louis Zoo has a very nice penguin exhibit where you get so close that you can smell the fish they ate. The penguins here were behind a large window, sealed off from us outsiders.

Well, since we were already wet, Alex and I went to the Texas Splashdown to end the day on another water ride. We were about halfway there when the line suddenly stopped and it was time for all of us to get some dinner. Needless to say, we gathered our belongings and headed out the gate to embark on the rest of our journey.

All in all, we had a great time. The boys were exhausted. So were we.


-----------------------------

OFF-TOPIC

Here are a few of pictures of Alex being silly before we left for Church this morning:

3 comments:

Jones said...

woah Alex! ..what a mighty handsome man you're becoming!!!

Justin, that picture of you and Alex is SO precious! Sea World is such a fun place for the kids!

jello said...

Is this where the one and only Shamu lives? I remember as a kid we used to go to Sea World, not sure if it was Orlando or Toronto or Ohio, but there was Shamu and his mommy Kandu. And then much later I remember Baby Shamu born in Orlando. Hey, it's a popular whale name. As I always say, "No can do, Shamu".

Looks like you all had great fun. No complaints, no sunburns, all fun in the sun.

And those pics of Alex are awesome, except the lighting makes it look like he's wearing a mohawk!

Anonymous said...

How fun to touch base again! We should get together. You can email me at osucowboys at consolidated dot net!